Sunday, October 11, 2015

LAST DAY IN SPAIN

Our last day in Santiago de Compostela was a wet one with intermittent rain showers.  We managed to stay fairly dry.  Slept in and had breakfast in the hotel about 9 am and by 11:15 we were on our way to the cathedral to see if we could find seats for the pilgrims Mass at noon.  It was already packed and as we squeezed into the crowds Jim soon decided this was not for him so he was  back out the door and exploring the city.

I decided to stay and after going to confession in Spanish. .. does that count ...I think so ... I could find Dutch, French and Spanish but no English priests.  Then I looked around and found a spot along the wall where I could see the television and also have a backrest.  Used my poncho for a seat cushion and sat back and did some  people watching while I waited for Mass to begin.  There had to be a dozen plus priests in the sanctury.  The floor between me and the television was packed with standing people.  But, the television was mounted high enough so that those of us lucky enough to have floor space near the wall could see.   When it was time for communion I picked up my poncho and after communion found a better spot to film the swinging of the Botafumeiro as by this time I knew it was going to happen again. 

Sure enough I was able to take another video but had people in front of me and I was much further away...so I have not posted it anywhere.  Yesterday's film was definitely the best.

After Mass I found Jim and we walked over to the Parador Hotel to get their stamp in our book.  Then continued to visit the city until it started to sprinkle again.  Picked up some snacks and went back to the hotel to tackle the repacking of the big suitcase with our walking sticks that Jim had taken apart, my sleeping bag, Jim's extra shoes and most of his clothing for tomorrow's trip to Paris on Vueling Airlines. 

About six o'clock we walked to a nearby restaurant for pizza and then another walk out to the edge of the old part of the city before returning for  Vesper services at 7:30 pm at the Iglesia del Monasterio Benedictino de San Pelayo that is next to the cathedral.  This was my third Vesper Service on the Camino.  

What is Vesper Service?  It is a series of night prayers that are sung many times in Gregorian Chant by monks and nuns. Tonight there were twenty nuns with the average age of probably forty-five to fifty.  A beautiful way to end the camino.   Buen camino. .. more after we get to Paris...we will be there until the 20th.


No comments: